Tomatoes! We’re getting close to the end of the growing season and the final harvest is comping up quick. Our last couple trips to the garden yielded quite a bit of tomato and peppers and with the cooler weather it was time for some soup!
Spicy Tomato Basil Soup
- 3 pounds ripe tomato, blanched
- 2 Anaheim peppers, diced
- 1 Jalepeno pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- salt and herbs
- olive oil
- 1 cup water
- Blanch the tomatoes. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Fill a large bowl with cold iced water.
- Crosscut and remove the stem core from each tomato.
- Add tomatoes to boiling water and let them boil for 30 seconds. Remove each and place in ice water bath.
- Skins will loosen immediately. Peel each and put tomatoes in food processor. Blend with basil.
- In a skillet, saute the onion and peppers in olive oil until onion is translucent. Add garlic and saute for another minute or two. Don’t burn the garlic.
- Add everything to the food processor and blend well.
- Transfer to a soup pot and bring to boil then reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add salt and other herbs to taste.