We hosted Soupy Sunday once again and everyone had a blast! Good company combined with puppet shows, live music, and soup makes for a great time. The first Soupy Sunday soup was totally random with everyone bringing at least one ingredient for the soup. This time around we decided on sticking more or less to one of our favorite recipes.
The soup du jour was White Trash Taco Soup. Keri and I first got hooked on this soup about 3 or 4 years ago when her brother, Thompson, made it at his house. Let me tell you, it is DELICIOUS. Why do we call it “White Trash Taco Soup”? It’s the “secret” ingredient… one can of cheap beer. Preferably, Pabst. Last night’s version was a bit more upscaled with some Sam Adam’s Oktoberfest which works just fine.
Recipe: White Trash Taco Soup
- 1 can of cheap beer
- 1 large can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 can of olives
- 1 can of sweet corn
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 packages of Taco Seasoning
- 3 cups of water
- 1 1/2 cup of dried beans (red, kidney, black) or 4 cans of – beans
- First, boil the beans until tender and strain. Put aside.
- Second, sautee the onion and garlic. Add to the pot with 3 cups of water.
- Add everything else including the beans you’ve cooked or canned beans if you do it that way.
- Additional spices can be used: paprika, cumin, pepper, etc. This is all up to you here.
- Add that beer in there.
- This soup really doesn’t take long to cook. As long as the beans aren’t hard, it’s good to eat.
- Serve in a bowl topped with Fritos and grated cheddar. One dollop of sour cream.
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 12
The entertainment for this Soupy Sunday consisted of impromptu jam sessions on the guitars and drums and several improvised puppet shows with puppets we made during the day. If you haven’t watched the video above what are you waiting for?!
Keri has set us up with a blog on WordPress.com here so you can subscribe to the email notifications about upcoming Soupy Sunday events. We’ll be using that in conjunction with Facebook Events to help coordinate the soup ingredients etc et al.