Snowmageddon Snowpocalypse snow storm that passed through has kept us mostly indoors for the past couple days. We were totally prepared with a fully-stocked fridge, freezer, and pantry. Cold weather like this calls for soup, and I have been meaning to try this particular one ever since I saw it in boxed form at Whole Foods.
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 jalepeno peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 3 tbsp all-purpose unbleached flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth (use bouillon if needed)
- 5 or 6 small white potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tsp cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro for garnish
- Roast the poblano and jalepeno in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove stem and seeds, dice them and set aside.
- In a skillet, sauté the onion, celery, and garlic in olive oil until the onion is translucent. Stir frequently to avoid burning the garlic.
- Stir in the flour and sauté for another couple minutes.
- Stir in the vegetable broth and add the cream, potato, and peppers.
- Simmer on low for 30 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through.
- Scoop out 3 cups worth and blend in a food processor or blender until smooth. Return to pot and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. We use a salt and a pepper grinder so 4 twists of each was perfect.
- Garnish with cilantro.
I adapted this from a recipe I found on Allrecipes.com so it makes 4 large or 6 small bowls of chowder. To make this vegan, you can substitute the cream with a cup of water or unsweetened almond milk.