*edit: This was the first soup I made in 2010 while Keri was away on her Vippassana retreat in Massachusetts. This is a great hearty soup for a cold winter’s day.
Recipe: Spinach Lentil Soup
- 10 cups of water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup of dried lentils
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup of chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup rice
- 3 dashes of Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon of mixed dried herbs (parsley, chives, tarragon, and chervil)
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- In a large pot, combine onion, garlic, lentils, carrots, salt, and herbs/spices. Bring to boil and let it cook for 45 minutes.
- In a separate pot, cook the rice until tender.
- Once rice is cooked add it to the soup along with the chopped spinach. Bring the soup back to a boil and let it cook for another 20 minutes or so.
- Serve with fresh baked bread.
Cooking time (duration): 90
Diet type: Vegan
Dietary restriction: Buddhist
Number of servings (yield): 12
Meal type: dinner
yumms, gentle lentil.
congratulations, Justin! May yours be a soupy year.
Yum. I'm going to have to make this.
I can almost smell it! Yummy!
Sounds terrific Justin. Can't wait to make it. Thanks for sharing.
It is DELICIOUS!
u reading my mind…I was looking at a bag of lentils today …thinking it was about time I got eaten them .This solves it:)) Thanks Justin Happy Happy New year to u both!